facebook twitter pinterest instagram youtube bloglovin
 photo toppost.png

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Goodbye Nashville!

As some of you may know I am a practicing Catholic. I am very involved in my faith so that means I go on a lot of retreats! To kick off the new year I was blessed to be able to go on a retreat called SEEK2015 with 10,000 other college students who believe in the same thing as me! It was from January 1-5 so it was the absolute perfect time where school hasn't started yet and holiday season finally started to slow down. Now I am not going to go into detail with what occurred at SEEK, but I would like to share with you three very important life lessons that I got out of this retreat.


1. I was able to hear the amazing speaker Lisa Cotter and she gave me insight on a lot. First she said something that really stuck with me: "if you judge people, you have no time to love them." I find that to be so true, in this world everyone is judging everyone about everything that person does. You were not put on this Earth to judge people, you were put on this Earth to love and accept everyone, no matter what. Another thing she said is from St. John Paul II, "a person's rightful due is to be treated as an object of love NOT an object for use." Just let that sink in for a second. That could mean any type of using, emotionally and physically, those are both wrong; people are not things, they are souls.


2. I also got to hear Rosario Rodriguez speak about forgiveness and she said something that I have never heard before and now that she has said it, I haven't stopped thinking about it. "When you don't forgive someone, it's like you are drinking poison and expecting the other person to die." Not forgiving someone doesn't hurt anyone but yourself! It takes a lot of energy away from yourself and not forgiving means you are also not trying to work on yourself become a better person because you are too worried thinking about not forgiving that person! Forgiveness does not mean forgetting. It's the decision to take the weight off of yourself, and to put it on the other person. If they hurt you, forgiving doesn't mean running back and pretending nothing happened. It's deciding to push past the bad and setting boundaries between you and that person or situation you encountered.


3. Lastly, I learned from the beautiful Sarah Swafford the 80-20 Problem & It's Big Three. 80% of your life is worrying and agonizing over these three questions:
 Who am I going to date & eventually marry? 
What is he/she going to do for me & how are they going to make me feel? 
How good can I look good doing it? 
STOP. Flip this to make that the 20% and this the 80%: 
Who do I want to be? 
What am I living for? 
Who am I living for? 
She says "Strive to become the woman of your dreams and you will attract the man of your dreams!" Virtue is striving for human excellence. There is no such thing as PERFECT. No human being is perfect. Apply your virtue to your passions and just strive to be a better you! Not a perfect you!




These words of wisdom have already helped me and it has been less than a week since I left the retreat. I hope you can think them over and see where you can apply these to your life. I just want to say a huge thank you to all of the speakers I heard and that I was able to tell all of you what I got out of this amazing experience. I hope this helps you in your life! 



xx, Lillie

 photo envye.jpg
envye blogger theme